This is shaping up like 90+ loss season for our Phightin's. But the beauty of baseball is things don't always transpire like they "should." Just ask the 2008 Rays or last years Royals or even that crazy 1993 bunch we had the privilege of watching. Most contending team's hope they can just stay healthy or maybe need 1 or 2 things to go there way. Sadly the 2015 Phillies team needs a lot to go there way to even get to .500 let alone contend for a playoff spot. Here are a list (its a long list) of things that HAVE to happen for this team to even think about the playoffs. I just want to make it clear that these are in now way predictions, they are simply the extreme best case scenario.
1. Cole Hamels proves he is one of the best lefties in the game and has an ERA around 2.50
2. The bullpen led by Papelbon, Giles and Diekman proves to be one of the best in the game and dominate in the late innings.
3. Ryan Howard has a bounce back season and hits 30 HR while keeping his average above .250
4. Chase Utley stays healthy and proves he is a top 5 2nd baseman.
5. Dominic Brown looks like the 2013 version who went to the all star game.
6. Revere and Hererra create havoc at the top of the order as both hit over .300 with 40+ SB.
7. After Franco's called up in June, he and Asche platoon at 3rd and combine for 30 HR.
8. David Buchanan follows up his excellent spring with another solid season (12-14 wins, 3.50 ERA).
9. Aaron Harang shows 2014 wasn't a fluke and has a similar campaign.
10. Chad Billingsley returns to his pre-injury form.
11. Aaron Nola gets called up in June and shows why he was the 7th pick in last years draft.
12. Freddy Galvis plays gold glove defense and surprisingly hits .260.
13. Ruiz stays healthy, hits .280 and guides the pitching to a great year!
14. An under the radar prospect comes to Philly and opens a lot of eyes with his performance.
15. The Phanatic shows why he is the best mascot in sports!
Ok, 15 is a lock and 1 and 2 are very realistic. The rest may be a lottery ticket but individually they are not extremely unrealistic. There might be a better chance that I make a start this season than ALL 15 happening. But hey if you are going to dream, dream big! Today is Opening Day and right now every team has a chance! And since when does being a Phan involve rational thoughts.
Like I said before, Opening Day shouldn't be about complaining about Amaro and his ridiculous moves, the lack of talent in the minors or down fall of Ryan Howard. There will be plenty of time for that this summer! Opening Day should be celebrated by fans from every team! There is no need to put dirt on this team before the season even starts. Who would have thought that Angels team lead by Manager George Knox would win the pennant?!? (Well maybe Roger and Al did.) I just ask, that for at least today, put on your homer glasses and enjoy one of the greatest days of the YEAR!!!! GO PHIGHTIN'S!!!!